Who are the most followed foreign ministers and foreign ministries on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube?
- 🟦 Foreign ministers and foreign ministries tend to have less followers than heads of state and governments. But there are exceptions.
- 🟦 Colombia’s Marta Lucía Ramírez stands out since she is one of the few women foreign ministers and consistently among the top 10.
- 🟦 The foreign ministers of Colombia, Italy, Mexico, Pakistan, and Turkey are among the Top 10 on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- 🟦 The US State Department is the most followed foreign ministry on all platforms. The foreign ministries of France, Israel, and Russia are consistently among the top 10.
Most Followed Foreign Ministers on Twitter 2022
- 🟦 Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Foreign Minister of the UAE has been the most followed foreign minister for several years. He is closely followed by the new and young Foreign Minister of Pakistan Bilawal Bhutto Zardari with 4.7 million followers.
- 🟦 The foreign ministers of Mexico, Turkey and Secretary of State Antony Blinken complete the top 5 with 2 million followers each.
- 🟦 Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba was catapulted into 7th place with his occasional Twitter livestreams in English.
Most Followed Foreign Ministers on Facebook 2022
- 🟦 Italy’s Luigi Di Maio is by far the most followed foreign minister on Facebook with 2.6 million followers, four times as many as the runner-up, Pakistan’s Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.
- 🟦 Hungary’s Péter Szijjártó is only active on Facebook but has a sizeable audience of 350,000.
Most Followed Foreign Ministers on Instagram 2022
- 🟦 Luigi Di Maio, the foreign minister of Italy also tops the Instagram rankings with 870,000 followers ahead of Germany’s Annalena Baerbock with half a million followers.
- 🟦 Indonesia’s Retno Marsudi is in fourth position and Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba is in 10th place with 110,000 followers.
Most Followed Foreign Ministers on LinkedIn 2022
- 🟦 LinkedIn is somewhat of a niche social network with foreign minister from a range of smaller countries embracing the professional social network.
- 🟦 Swiss Foreign Minister and current President Ignazio Cassis is the most followed foreign minister on Linkedin with 18,000 followers. Togo’s Robert Dussey and Belgium’s Sophie Wilmès complete the top 3 with more than 11,000 followers.
Most Followed Foreign Ministries on Twitter 2022
- 🟦 The leading foreign ministries maintain Twitter accounts in several languages to reach the widest possible audience. We have summed the different language accounts marked with a *.
- 🟦 The US State Department has by far the most followers on Twitter with 8.7 million, more than twice as much as the Foreign Ministry of Saudi Arabia with 3.5 million followers. The Foreign Ministry of Russia is in third place.
- 🟦 However, since the Trump administration the State Department does no longer follow any other foreign ministry or foreign leader, whether ally or foe.
Most Followed Foreign Ministries on Facebook 2022
- 🟦 The US State Department leads the Facebook rankings with 3.4 million followers ahead of the foreign ministries of India, Egypt, the Philippines, and Mexico.
- 🟦 Myanmar’s Foreign Ministry is in eighth place among the most followed foreign ministers with 600,000 followers.
Most Followed Foreign Ministries on Instagram 2022
- 🟦 The US State Department leads the Instagram rankings with 1.5 million followers ahead of the foreign ministries of India, Israel, and Russia.
- 🟦 Instagram diplomacy is widely popular in the Middle East namely the foreign ministries of Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar.
Most Followed Foreign Ministries on LinkedIn 2022
- 🟦 LinkedIn, was mainly used as a recruiting platform by the State Department hence the name DOScareers of its page which has 638,000 followers.
- 🟦 The UK Foreign Office, and the foreign ministries of France, Canada and Argentina engage in economic diplomacy on what is seen as the professional social network.
Most Followed Foreign Ministries on YouTube 2022
- 🟦 The US State Department leads on YouTube leaderboard ahead of the two channels of the Indian Foreign Ministry and the Russian Foreign Ministry.
- 🟦 Of note the good showing of Uzbek’s Foreign Ministry in eighth place.
For more on digital diplomacy & digital tips follow @DigiTips on social media and join the #DigiTips Community on Twitter for useful tips & tricks.